Answer both of the two questions below. Please note, this week there will be NO RESPONSES to other students required for this Discussion board. I rather you spend more time on your original posts, which should be at least 600 words this week (1.2 pages single-spaced). Your posting will be due by the end of the day Sunday (not Thursday).
Read the articles from THE MARSHALL PROJECT (a nonprofit journalism source about criminal justice) linked below:
- I Did My 25 Years. Now I’m Fighting Another Sentence—DeportationDownload I Did My 25 Years. Now I’m Fighting Another Sentence—Deportation
- Can We Fix Mass Incarceration Without Including Violent Offenders?Download Can We Fix Mass Incarceration Without Including Violent Offenders?
- Maryland Leads as Prison Populations Continue to DeclineDownload Maryland Leads as Prison Populations Continue to Decline
- Is The “First Step Act” Real Reform?Download Is The “First Step Act” Real Reform?
- Prosecutor Sentence Review Units Would Revisit Punishments from the PastDownload Prosecutor Sentence Review Units Would Revisit Punishments from the Past
- Why It’s So Hard For Death Row Prisoners Like Rodney Reed To Prove They’re InnocentDownload Why It’s So Hard For Death Row Prisoners Like Rodney Reed To Prove They’re Innocent
- Oklahoma Releases Hundreds From Prison on One DayDownload Oklahoma Releases Hundreds From Prison on One Day
https://www.themarshallproject.org/#Links to an external site.
- Summarize ONE (1) article’s key points.
- Because the summary you compose is relatively brief, do not use direct quotes from the article, make sure to paraphrase and use your own words.
- Explain how the article is related to the assigned readings.
- Discuss a law or criminal justice policy that you think should be enacted to resolve the sentencing-related problem(s) addressed in the article.
After reading Gideon v. Wainwright, 372 US 335 (1963) [Israel Kamisar LaFave, pg. 374], explain the following:
- Which constitutional amendment is at issue in the case, and what rights does it encompass?
- What did the United States Supreme Court decide in this case and why?
- Watch the videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq6RGkQFfCMLinks to an external site.that focuses on HBO’s “Gideon’s Army” and opine on the modern challenges facing the right to counsel since this landmark case was decided.