- Review media segment in which three early childhood professionals discuss their thoughts and experiences in working with children and their families who are immigrants. Which comments and insights from the media segment resonated with you the most?
- Bring to mind the course text reading and the ideas shared throughout Chapter 5. Also consider what you have learned about transnational families from the article Supporting Transnational Families. What aspects of cultural dissonance might a child from a transnational family experience? How might these aspects be revealed in the context of an authentic transnational family?
- Finally, think about your own personal and professional dispositions. What do you expect will be your greatest joy(s) and challenge(s) when it comes to working with immigrant and/or transnational families?
Then address the following prompts:
- At least one specific idea, experience, and/or challenge presented by the practitioners in the media segment that you found to be particularly noteworthy, insightful, or helpful as it relates to working with families and children who are immigrants.
- A summary of three aspects of cultural dissonance a child from a transnational family might experience. In your summary, compose a brief scenario that illustrates one of these aspects in the context of an authentic transnational family.
- One joy and one challenge that you might experience while working with immigrant and/or transnational families.
See the attached ‘Anti-Bias” Book and review Chapters 5 and 8!